Friday, April 6, 2007

Arrival in Cuba

I'm here at last, now starting my second day in Cuba, finally with a few minutes of access to the Interet computer at my hotel. Yesterday was all about Havana, with an overview from one of its chief architects about the city's transportation, housing, and public space infrastructure. Following that was a lengthy architectural walk through much of Old Havana. Think 'San Juan, Puerto Rico -- before the Americans arrived.' But Havana -- and Cuba -- is SO much more than that. I will post pictures as soon as I can (I'm taking alot), and let them speak for themselves. I just wanted to let everyone know I am here safely and doing well. The hotel is great, the food delicious (best ice cream I've ever had), the music, which is everywhere, captivating, the people impossibly polite and attractive, the abundant tropical plants beautiful, many of the old buildings in disrepair but many others undergoing restoration, and the vehicles on the road a fascinating mix of bikes, scooters, old Eastern European cars, 1950's fin-ridden American classics . . . and more modern Toyotas, Citroens and other new cars than I expected to see. I'm finding Cuba so far to be anything but a 'third-world' country. Guess what? After a day of research today, our delegation just might be going to a Cuban baseball game tonight in Havana's main stadium. But not just any Cuban baseball game -- it's the equivalent of their World Series, and tonight is the 'semi-final' game between the team from Havana (the 'Industriales') and a team from the outskirts. More to come...

1 Comment:

desertmom said...

Hi Steve

I'm glad you arrived safely. I hope that your trip, and other trips like yours to Cuba will encourage the new congress to try to lift the ban on travel to Cuba. I'd love to go there.
Am looking forward to your pictures.

Mom