Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Almost There

Enjoying some quesadillas con queso and a Corona at Cancun International Airport, with about an hour to kill before meeting the rest of my delegation for the trip to Havana. Just arrived here from San Diego via Phoenix. I didn't have time to buy any food during the Phoenix transfer but luckily U.S. Airways was selling meals aboard the flight to Cancun. As they wheeled the croissant sandwiches and chees & fruit plates by me at a cost of $5 each, I reached for my wallet to find I only have $4 U.S. on me, the rest being Euros to convert to the Cuban peso, since dollars aren't accepted in Cuba any more. I was fairly starving by this point, and an out-of-service restroom aboard the flight only added to the discomfort. I pleaded with the flight attendant to give me a break and feed me for my $4. She shrugged her shoulders and said 'Sorry, can't do that.' I started to say, 'Even if I'm starving?' but before I could finish, a nice Mexican woman seated next to me yanked out a dollar and handed it to me without saying a word. There but for the kindness of fellow travellers goes my opinion of U.S. Airways... I spent most of the rest of the flight writing a brief essay summarizing my thoughts about Cuba-U.S. relations. Maybe I'll post it here one of these days.

0 Comments: